Thursday, March 7, 2013

Miscellaneous

There were a few things I did last week that I didn't have time, or pictures to upload. So since I have started classes now I have some free time in between classes to catch up.

Last Thursday as part of the orientation program, we went to see Simon Boccanegra at the Vienna Opera house. We stood in the nose bleed section and I'm surprised I didn't pass out, it was hott and I had nothing to lean on. But the singing was INCREDIBLE, Placido Domingo, was the lead, and I guess Placido is a BIG deal, but of course I didn't know this until it was over. Many people left at intermission that were standing so the second half I was able to see about half the stage, and a translator with english subtitles (it was an italian opera), this made it a lot more enjoyable. From my understanding the storyline was very similar to West Side Story, where 2 people fall in love and get married that are not suppose to and there is some fight scenes and a few people die. We were handed the store by or orientation leader while walking into the theater soI wasn't able to read it until after.

At the Opera!
Curtain
I leaned WAY over the rail to get this picture

Main Lobby at Intermission

Beautiful Ceilings 
Opera house at night



Friday we had the daytime off so Frances and I decided to do some sightseeing. Since we have both done most of the typical tourist attractions already we decided to check out the BIG university. The University of Vienna were over 90,000 students are enrolled. They have buildings all over the city, but we decided to explore the main campus. Here we found a lovely courtyard, we will have to go back once it is warmer, seems like the perfect place to grab a coffee and get some sun. The building was like a museum, so beautiful.
Courtyard

Sculptures EVERYWHERE

Frances and I crashing a university lecture.

Afterwards we walked around some city markets and just strolled through the Viennese streets, finding restaurants and cafe's we will have to revisit. 

Cool basket tractor
I thought Grandpa might like this :)



And on wednesday night I went skating with Canadian infront of Rathaus, (Vienna's City Hall). I say it like that because I was the only one from U.S. in the group of people I went with. I figured they would all be pro, but turns out most of them had only gone once or twice before. I had to help 3 of them put there skates on! haha 
They all asked to see me do tricks on the ice, but it was too crowded and I didn't feel like embarrassing myself by falling.
Amazing panorama, Thanks Kyla
It was absolutely beautiful, there are 2 rinks connected by paths, with roundabouts that are really fun to skate around, you could almost get lost in the mazes. We skated for about 2-3 hours and were exhausted, some even had blistering feet, and one fell and hurt her elbow, she is ok, just in some pain. But all in all a fantastic night with great friends, and delicious Bailey's roasted nuts, crepes  and hot chocolate to top it off. The rink will close on the 10th. So maybe I will go one last time :)

Heather and I


Rathaus at night!
The Group! 


No comments:

Post a Comment