Saturday, March 30, 2013

3 Countries in one day with parents and George

Yesterday I left the girls at the airport and hoped on a plane to Switzerland to meet my parents! Little did I know how hard it would be to find them in the airport. I felt so lost and it turns out there flight didn't arrive for an hour after I thought. I thought they were waiting for me for an hour and I felt bad making them wait. We are staying with a family friend here and I also didn't want to make him wait. I finally was able to connect to wifi and Dad had left me a message as to which terminal they were in. I finally found Mom and was so relieved. Dad and George had gone looking for me, and came back shortly after. It feels so great to be with my parents again :)

Someone had fun with this statue

 And so we were off, George drove us into Zurich for a little sight seeing and a nice walk along the waterfront. Here you are suppose to be able to see the alps, but unfortunately we just had to imagine it, so foggy we couldn't see anything. With this view it kind of reminded me of Burlington waterfront.
These are the mountains your suppose to see

New Country new flags













Once we felt like we stretched our legs enough we hoped back in the car and headed to Basal, Switzerland where George lives. He made us amazing grill cheese and tomato soup for lunch, then we took naps until dinner time, which we were again treated to delicious pad thai, and French wine.

We relaxed for the rest of the night and let my parents jet lag kick in. Today we woke up and had a relaxing morning with coffee and French toast, with peanut butter and maple syrup, if you haven't tried it you need to!
Dinnertime

Grocery store in germany

Swiss Chocolate
Then we were on our way to explore this side of Europe. First into Germany to do some grocery shopping with everyone else, since Easter is tomorrow, and the store will be closed both Sunday and Monday. So it was very busy. After we drove into France into a small town called Riquewihr which was an adorable wine town full of vineyards, and cobblestone alleys. Here we found a really cute restaurant and I tried cordon blue, and French fries (real "french" fries haha). We admired the details of the restaurant  After we walked the streets and checked out the vineyard. It was such a different town then I am used to seeing. Still touristy but nothing like I am used to, this was on of my favorite towns.
France village



Riquewihr France

Sight seeing






We made it back to Basal and wanted to check out the Tilley museum, which is an engineers paradise of junk thrown together to preform different tasks, but ended up just checking out the gift shop because it was closing soon.

Tinley Museum

Swiss Fondu

Fancy Dinner 


Now we are back home, and plan to have Swiss fondu and French wine for dinner. And hopefully eventually make it into downtown Basal.

No comments:

Post a Comment